The California Perinatal Quality Care Collaborative (CPQCC) is a statewide network of California’s neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) and High Risk Infant Follow-up (HRIF) clinics housed at the Stanford University School of Medicine

Our mission is to improve the quality and equity of health care delivery for California’s most vulnerable infants and their families, from birth and NICU stay to early childhood.

As a member-driven organization, we strive to ensure that our work is guided by and responsive to the needs of health workers on the frontline of care, as well as to the needs of their patients. As such, our work is directed by volunteer committees of neonatologists, nurses, developmental care specialists, data abstractors, and quality improvement (QI) experts from across the state who share our commitment to high quality neonatal care. Together, we are proud to be making substantial improvements to the health and wellbeing of California’s infants.

  • 1997

    CPQCC is founded as the “action arm” of the California Association of Neonatologists (CAN), supported in part by funding from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation and the California Department of Public Health’s Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health Program (CDPH-MCAH).
  • 1999

    Launched Antenatal Steroid Promotion Collaborative.
  • 2000

    First QI toolkit on Antenatal Corticosteroid Therapy released. CPQCC membership reaches 60 NICUs.
  • 2002

    Began transitioning from paper-based data submission to a web-based data entry system.
  • 2003

    Launched Nosocomial Infection Reduction Collaborative.
  • 2005

    Streamlined the data collection process by merging the Small Baby and Big Baby data sets into a comprehensive NICU Database. CPQCC membership reaches 100 NICUs.
  • 2007

    Completed transition to an entirely paperless data submission process. Today, 90% of our members submit data through the online NICU Data Site while the remaining 10% submit electronic data files to the Data Center team.
    Began collection of real-time data on acute neonatal transports.
  • 2008

    Launched Healthcare Associated Infections Collaborative.
  • 2009

    Started conferring the Superstar Award on members who complete all of the April 1st Data Finalization requirements two weeks prior to the deadline. Today, we provide nine different awards to NICUs and HRIF Programs that go above and beyond to submit complete and accurate data ahead of schedule.
    Launched Breastmilk Nutrition Collaborative.
  • 2011

    Launched Delivery Room Management Collaborative.
  • 2013

    Launched Optimizing Length of Separation Collaborative.
  • 2014

    Launched the Help Desk, an online ticket system that now serves as CPQCC’s main customer service platform for queries on data abstraction, entry, and interpretation. The Help Desk is staffed by our NICU Data Center and HRIF Support teams Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
  • 2015

    Transitioned to an entirely electronic Data Finalization process. Members can track their status on the 12 activities required during Data Finalization and access information on deadlines and available resources using the electronic Close-Out Checklist available on the NICU Data Site.
  • 2016

    Launched the Antibiotic Stewardship Collaborative with 28 NICUs, the largest number of participants in a single CPQCC collaborative to date.
  • 2017

    Celebrated our 20th Anniversary!
  • 2018

    Launched Grow, Babies, Grow! and Simulating Success, our first time offering two QI projects simultaneously.
  • 2023

    Drs. Jochen Profit and Deirdre Lyell assume Co-Directorship of the California Perinatal Quality Care Collaborative (CPQCC) and California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC), and Dr. Jeffrey Gould transitions into a position of Senior Advisor. View announcement